Monday, July 15, 2013

Correcting a left handed mistake - tutorial

Clothesline Carry-All

Mini-Tutorial & Error Correction!

     Today I would like to share some a-ha moments I had when creating the Clothesline Carry-All tote using the pattern from Indygo Junction.  Many of you may not know that I am left handed...many days I forget it myself as I can rotary cut as well as demo many things right-handed.  Well today was not one of those days.  This past Saturday we had a class on this bag in the shop taught by one of our instructors.  Many times when I am not the instructor, I do not really read the pattern (no surprises there!).

     As the class progressed, I realized I really had to make one of these bags, so I drifted in an out of the classroom thinking I had gotten most of the info and shouldn't really even need the pattern.....NOT!

     Now, I will tell you that I heard Rae mention the phrase "to the right" multiple times.  It did not compute.  This is my mini-tutorial as well as error correction so that you know all is never lost and the end result looks simply fabulous.

     The basic premise of this bag construction is wrapping your strips of fabric around clothesline and zig zag stitching "in the round".  The wrap on this is a little different than the bags and bowls you have seen in the past..you are simply folding the fabric around the cording instead of wrapping around and around (which leaves frayed raggedy edges).  This is a much cleaner and easier version!


So this is where I was when I realized exactly what "to the right" meant.  Can you see the problem yet??  The problem is the fact that as I am turning and adding the clothesline, my work is turning toward the inside of my machine.  This will not work for much longer!  Your first thought would be to simply turn it over and keep going; however, that won't work because the underside of the piece is where all the raw edges live.  What you are looking at becomes the outside of your bag.  The correction came to me at about 2 am (as all great ideas do)...so here goes....





      First cut your clothesline approx. 1" in from the end of the strip.  Fold it over the clothesline and continue sewing, tucking the end of the strip (without the clothesline in it) under the work to finish off)



      Take your next strip, start the clothesline approx 1" down from the edge of the strip.  Fold it over.


     Turn your work to the opposite side of your presser foot, beginning at the other end of the oval.  You don't want to have where you finished and where you started in the same spot...this may throw off the balance of the bag.  Tuck the raw edge to the underside of the bag base and begin your zig zag stitching.  NOW you may continue to work through the pattern as though there were never a problem!


     As the bag progresses, you can now see why it was so important to be working "TO THE RIGHT"!  


      My finished bag and lining shot.  Tomorrow I will go over how to construct the lining.  Every bag turns out slightly different so you need to make your own pattern.  I will go over some of the basic principles.



     Indygo Junction pattern & jelly roll Simply Style by V and Co for Moda.   Love, Love Love!







No comments:

Post a Comment