Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Clothesline Carry All Part 2 The Lining

Clothesline Carry All  Part 2  

The Lining

    This is part 2 of the tutorial.  As I mentioned yesterday, the lining instructions for this bag are very vague as each bag turns out slightly differently.  Here is how I handled my lining.  Hope this helps you out!

     You will need the following:  Your bag exterior, lining fabric, freezer paper, tape measure & interfacing.


     Turn your bag right side out and place on a piece of freezer paper large enough to fit the base plus a little extra.  Draw around the base of the bag on the non-waxy side of the freezer paper.   I added 1/2" to my drawn line then cut out the "pattern" for the base.


     Next, using a tape measure, measure the top edge of your bag.  (handles are NOT on bag at this time, I am photographing on finished bag).  Measure from the center of one side across the front to the center of the opposite side.  Add 1" for seam allowance to that measurement.

     Measure the height of your bag from the base to the top edge. Add 1" to that number also.

     Finally measure across the width of your base pattern piece.  No need to add the seam allowance as we already added it to that.  You now have the measurements for the front and back pattern pieces.  You may want to rotary cut these pieces.  My bag measured 18.5" w x 9" h x 11" across the base pattern; therefore I cut my lining pieces 19.5" x 10....so where does the 11" base come in?  Once the basic rectangle is cut, you will then taper the top edge (19.5") down to the 11" base size.  My bag is fairly straight up and down so I only had to taper approx 4" from top to bottom.  (divide the taper amount in half so you take and equal amount from each side.)  You definitely need to do this so that the base fits during assembly.  Some bags turn out to be more "fan" shaped so this is the most important step. Cut 2 bag & 1 base piece from pattern.

    Now, as far as interfacing goes....the pattern calls for a heavy duty deco bond.  Because I used a jelly roll (rather than cutting 1.5" or 2" strips as pattern suggests) I had more "backing" fabric behind my rounds.  This made for a very sturdy bag.  If you are using a jelly roll, my suggestion is a lightweight fusible woven interfacing.   Cut out 2 bag & 1 base piece and fuse interfacing to wrong side of lining pieces.

    Before assembling your lining, add pockets if you choose.  I was so excited to be getting done, I forgot all about them.  The pattern has excellent pocket instructions!

  After adding your pockets, sew side seams together, using 1/2" seam allowance.  The add base easing around the curves, clipping if necessary.  

     Turn under top edge about 1/2" and press toward wrong side.  At this point, you will want to drop your lining into the bag to see if you need to turn under more or less at the top edge.  you want the base to sit flat on the bottom and the top edge even with the top of the bag.  Adjust as necessary.  Tuck the handles between the lining and the bag, pin around.  If you are adding a button and strap, tuck the ends of the strap at this time also.

     I kept my machine set to zig zag stitch to top stitch around so that it blended with the exterior stitching.

     





3 comments:

  1. we are looking for conveyor belt agent in your country, are you interested in it?

    ReplyDelete


  2. For the Indian investor the fastest and most secure way to Permanent Residency in the United States (otherwise known as a “Green Card”) can be by investing in a project offered by an experienced Regional Center.


    EB-5 Visa Consultants in Delhi, US Immigration Consultants in Mumbai, Immigration Lawyers in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete