Thursday, August 6, 2009

Pattern Writing / Publishing?

I am on a new venture to try my hand at quilt pattern writing / publishing. My last attempt at this never got me farther than the drawing board...by the time I sketched out the pattern and purchased ALOT of fabric to test drive the pattern, I received one of the many quilt mags I subscribe to and there for all the world to see was a very very (too close for comfort) quilt too much like the one I was drafting to continue!!! Project abandoned.

I am off on another attempt in a totally new direction and we'll see how far I get before I see it somewhere else..lol. I have finished the draft, laid out the cover, and am off to buy some fabric to see if it really works. The next step will be to send it out to at least three quilters for testing (email me if you would like to be one of the testers). I'm not really sure where to turn after I get the first one completed and printed. Not sure if I should start by offering on my etsy site or go right for the big guys...Any thoughts or help would be GREATLY appreciated.

And finally I better go buy a damn new camera....this Kodak easyshare stinks. I just tried to upload a pic of my drafting space to share and the camera told me I already had that photo and deleted it. I REALLY dont need a camera to make decisions for me just take the pics and upload when I say so. This happened previously and I wrote to Kodak and the instructions for correcting the problem take longer than the price of the camera was worth!! Not to mention the fact that during this process I had to delete all of my previous photos from the computer.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel and sometimes I feel like I should stop looking at other peoples beautiful work lest someone say I copy when my own ideas blossom. I absolutely know it is possible for more than one person to have a similar idea and execute it almost exactly the same. Perhaps it is the collective consciousness at work. Hive mind syndrome. lol. I don't know. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete